The holidays are just around the corner. After a stomach reduction the food choices change. It is best to take this into account during the holidays. For people who celebrate Christmas and New Year’s Day for the first time after their gastric bypass, this is an exciting period. We would like to help you with a few tips for spending the holidays in the best possible way after a gastric bypass.
Candy during the holidays
During the months of November and December, there is a lot of candy to be found in the shops. But it is important to watch out. Of course, it’s not a disaster if you eat some sweets, but one bite soon begs for the next. Do you want to join in on the candy eating? Then buy the purest form of chocolate. After all, pure cocoa is not bad at all in small doses.
What about the aperitif and appetizers?
An aperitif can also be quite healthy. You don’t have to serve only fried snacks and sweet cocktails. There are many tips to keep aperitifs healthy. Here are a few:
For food, we can fall back on the 80/20 rule. This means that 80% of the food should be healthy. The other 20% should be used for sinning (unhealthy(er) food). In this way, you can organise an optimal aperitif. Of course, try to go easy on the appetisers.
What to drink with the aperitif?
Water is always the healthiest option. But water is only water… That is why you can choose to add a flavour or aroma to the water. In addition, home-made lemonades or ice teas are always a healthy choice.
Would you prefer something alcoholic? Then a glass of cava contains the least amount of kilocalories. Gin tonic is not necessarily bad either. But try to be aware of how much alcohol you are consuming. After a stomach reduction, alcohol is absorbed more quickly in the bloodstream. This means that you will be tipsy more quickly. In addition, alcohol is also a real fattening drink.
Eating at restaurants during the holidays
Are you going to eat at a restaurant during the holidays and is there a buffet available? Explore the buffet without a plate beforehand. This way, you can have a better look at all the options without having the tendency to put them on your plate already. This way, you can make more specific choices and the buffet will not be too heavy on your stomach.
Making choices in the restaurant
Look at the menu online in advance (if possible). That way, you can choose in advance what you will eat that evening. You will feel much more at ease when you arrive at the restaurant and already know what you are going to order.
At home with friends during the holidays
Christmas and New Year’s Eve are also often celebrated at home or with friends. Here too, there are a few tips for enjoying the holidays with a stomach reduction. Read along with us:
Plan in advance:
Plan in advance what the month will look like. If you know in advance on which days you might eat a little too much, you can concentrate on making healthier choices on the days in between/other days.
Don’t be afraid to ask:
Ask the hostess or host in advance what he/she is planning to serve. This way, you can plan your meal better. This is to prevent the meal from being too heavy on your stomach again.
What exactly is best to eat during the holidays?
Make a list in advance of products you can tolerate well or which are easy on the stomach. This way you can anticipate. Always take good quality food into account. This is certainly a point you should not lose sight of.
After a stomach reduction you also need a lot of protein. You can achieve this in various ways:
Of course, all vegetables are good to eat without restriction.
Try not to eat too much when “gourmet”. Listen carefully to your body and feel when you are satiated. This means that you should stop in time. Also, try not to eat too much baguette while “gourmetting”. This is only filling your stomach.
These are not at all forbidden to eat. However, red sauces are naturally less fatty than other coloured sauces. When shopping, choose yoghurt-based sauces or light products.
The holidays are mainly about enjoying each other’s company. So do this! Don’t be too line-oriented, because that’s not necessary for a while during the holidays. But always stay focused on the right, qualitative and good food. Enjoy the holidays to the full, because even after a stomach reduction that is certainly necessary!
Happy holidays and best wishes for 2022! 🍾