To immediately answer the question, eating fish is very healthy. It is a source of many vitamins (A, D, B3, B11 & B12), minerals and proteins. Crustaceans and shellfish have similar nutritional values. Thanks to all these healthy component, fish is good for the heart, the brain and the body in general. Fatty fish contains, in addition to all the good nutritional values, also a treasure of omega-3 fatty acids. These protect us against cardiovascular diseases. Yet there is a downside to the story. The fish we consume contains mercury.
How does mercury end up in fish?
In recent years, the seas and oceans have been increasingly polluted. This can have both human and animal causes. Fish feed on food they find in polluted seas and oceans. As a result, they ingest a lot of waste and heavy metals, including mercury.
Not all fish consume the same amount of mercury. Especially larger predatory fish (sharks, tuna, pike, etc.) ingest more waste because they live longer and feed more on small fish, which in turn also ingest waste. The amount of mercury in fish therefore depends on what the fish eat.
How much fish should you consume?
Since there is a limited amount of mercury in the fish consumed, it is important not to eat too much fish. An overdose of mercury can cause irreversible damage to the skin, lungs, kidneys, brain and nervous system. But to suffer these consequences, you must already consume large quantities of fish or seafood.
It is therefore advisable to eat fish once or twice a week. Try to consume at least one fatty fish (herring, mackerel, salmon, etc.). In this way you will get all the nutrients you need for a healthy life. It is important to eat fish at least once a week. Do not be put off by the small amount of mercury present in fish.